What is TransLash News & Narrative?
This platform is a safe space for trans and gender nonconforming (TGNC) people. We want your authentic voices and truths about how our society affects everyday life. We’re interested in the highs, the lows, and everything in between.
What kinds of stories are we looking for?
We’re interested in:
- Government policy — We’re experiencing unprecedented attacks on our community from the government at all levels. What is happening in your state or district? How do you feel about it?
- Bodily autonomy — As TGNC people our bodies are constantly under attack. How are you asserting control over your body, including reproductive justice and abortion, and how can others do the same?
- Navigating social services — Do you have a unique insight about navigating the medical system, education system, etc.?
- Community — How are TGNC people redefining community? Who are your TGNC community leaders?
- Identity — How have you grown as a TGNC person? Let others know they’re not alone.
- Travel — Tell us about your travel experiences as a TGNC person! Where have you been? Who did you meet? What did you learn?
- History — Share an exciting story about a piece of TGNC history!
The most essential style characteristics of N&N pieces are:
- A clear voice — your writing feels like you.
- A dynamic angle — what makes this story special?
- Sharp writing — do you know what you want to say? And can you do it in 750-1000 words?
How do I pitch an article? How long should my pitch be?
We’re looking for three main components in a pitch.
- Include a link to clips or samples of your work. We want to get a good sense of your writing strengths.
- Make sure your pitch is timely. Is it relevant to what’s happening in the general public? Has it been covered on our site already? Do you have a strong opinion about the topic and resources to back it up? Is your angle underrepresented?
- Tell us how the story ends and what the audience will get from it. We don’t need a full outline yet, but we need to know where you’re going.
Do your best to cover these components in three paragraphs or less. When you’re ready, send your pitch to email@example.com.
How much do you pay for freelance pieces? What’s the word count?
We pay a $350 flat rate for each piece. Our minimum word count is 750 words. Our ideal length is 1000 words.