Team TransLash is looking for a part-time Social Media Coordinator to contract with us for tentatively a 6-month period, with the potential to renew. We are open to working with either a 1099 Contractor, or a BIPOC or LGBTQIA-led Agency/Firm that appoints one dedicated service provider to handle all tasks and to interface with us re: work scope for each month.
Location: Remote (any location in the United States, but must be available for real-time Slack/email communication & scheduled calls between the hours of 10AM – 6PM ET).
Role: We are considering applications and proposals from both individual 1099 Contractors and BIPOC and LGBTQIA-led Agencies/Firms.
Ideal Candidate Attributes:
- Comfortable with communicating their capacity and boundaries;
- Experience with working and communicating remotely (Google Workspace, Slack, Google Meet);
- Flexible: enjoys being assigned different tasks each week.
Timing: Contract length for initial term is tentatively 6 months, with a 90-day trial period.
Start date: TBD date in November 2021.
Compensation: Currently accepting proposals. We have $10,800.00 budgeted for this scope of work, and are estimating 10-15 hours a week, for 6 months.
Sample Compensation Breakdown:
- $30/hr x 15 hours per week = $450 per week
- Potential monthly retainer: $1,800.00/month at $30/hr (15 hours per week)
$30/hr is at the top of our budget. We will prioritize consideration of proposals at the top of our budget from folks/agencies that can meet all mission critical qualifications.
We want to encourage all applicants to submit applications/proposals that take into consideration the work required, your own financial sustainability needs, and the amount we have budgeted for this project. If those things don’t feel in alignment, please contact us so we can discuss what is possible. We may have flexibility on budget, number of hours, length of time, etc.
The incumbent will be expected to track their time each week in a provided time-tracking spreadsheet, and to submit monthly invoices by the provided deadlines.
We are only considering applicants who complete the form embedded in this employment notice. Thank you in advance for your cooperation!
Scope of work
The Social Media Coordinator will report directly to TransLash Founder Imara Jones and TransLash digital strategy lead Daniela Capistrano, supporting social media engagement and content needs for two podcast series, plus a range of tasks for TransLash Media social channels. As this is a part-time role, task priorities will be clarified on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Specifics will be discussed during the onboarding phase, but here is a general outline of services scope:
- Outreach Support: coordinating with the podcast team and digital strategy lead to promptly prep & distribute the social media toolkit for each podcast episode in advance of each bi-monthly episode drop;
- Guest Assets Support: promptly coordinating with Team TransLash stakeholders to make sure podcast guests have provided their official headshots & confirmed social media handles to include in each social media toolkit in advance of outreach;
- Content Creation: creating tune-in graphics and other ancillary social media assets with provided templates;
- Content Scheduling: under direction of the digital strategy lead, scheduling out episodic promotional content (original and curated) across all of TransLash Media’s social channels;
- Testimonial Logging: scanning all podcast distro channels and TL social accounts every week for timely listener reviews, and compiling documentation to be re-purposed for promotional social graphics and funder reporting.
- Audience Development Support: checking the podcast email account daily and coordinating responses/escalating inquiries with appropriate team members within 48hrs of each correspondence;
- Social Engagement: under direction of the digital strategy lead, scanning TL social channels daily and elevating/responding to podcast series-specific feedback from followers;
- Bi-Monthly Podcast Planning Calls: meeting with the digital strategy lead twice a month via Zoom/Google Meet to discuss monthly podcast content, outreach, and promotional priorities;
- GIPHY Content Creation: under direction of the digital strategy lead, supporting the launch, management, and promotion of a new TransLash Media GIPHY channel and the creation of original branded GIF content, leveraging legacy TransLash Media assets and new/commissioned works;
- TikTok Content Creation: under direction of the digital strategy lead, supporting the launch, management, and promotion of a new TransLash Media TikTok channel and the creation of original branded TikTok content, leveraging legacy TransLash Media assets and new/commissioned works;
- TransLash Zine Support: under direction of the digital strategy lead, supporting outreach to promote the zine in multiple relevant online communities, related call-for-submission campaigns, and providing misc. content and administrative support;
- YouTube Support: under direction of the digital strategy lead, supporting content and community management needs for the TransLash Media YouTube Channel. Duties will include ongoing SEO-driven tag maintenance for legacy and new content uploads, promptly reviewing and responding to comments, and caption corrections (utilizing YouTube’s caption editor, and uploading provided .SRT files);
- Bi-Monthly Social Media Planning Calls: meeting with the digital strategy lead twice a month via Zoom/Google Meet to discuss monthly social content, outreach, and promotional priorities.
All tasks are executed under the direct supervision of TransLash Media digital strategy lead Daniela Capistrano, with final approvals from TransLash Media founder Imara Jones. Paid training on related systems and processes will be provided during the initial on boarding phase during the 90-day trial period. After the first 90 days, the Contractor/Agency/Firm is expected to follow the work scope provided in the service agreement, with a transparent level of supervision.
- Fluency with Canva and Photoshop: must be able to efficiently manipulate provided templates, and to create basic social media graphics with provided assets and instructions;
- Fluency with Facebook’s Creator Studio: must be comfortable with scheduling content and checking/responding to Facebook and Instagram social media follower engagement through Creator Studio;
- Social Media Management Proficiency: must have a minimum of two years of experience creating content for & managing Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok channels for a client or employer. Must have a basic understanding of social media analytics and KPIs, and how this can inform content and community engagement strategies;
- Comfortable using Google Workspace and related applications;
- Comfortable using Slack and Email for timely communication and collaboration;
- Comfortable with WordPress (creating and publishing blog posts, some webpage content edits).
- Must own (or have access to) your own computer and reliable Internet access;
- Fluency in English;
- Must be 18+ and able to legally work in the United States (complete and submit a 1099 form).
- Experience providing social media support for a podcast series or trans-led initiative;
- Established networks in transgender/TGNC communities, Black communities and communities of color, and disabled communities;
- An understanding of accessibility and modalities for creating and sharing accessible content online;
- Experience managing a text-community platform;
- Some video editing experience for social media assets;
- Experience in community organizing.
Interested parties should complete this inquiry form:
Candidates of interest will be contacted via the email provided through the form.
If you need accessibility-related accommodations for this stage of the application process, please contact us.
Submissions are reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled. We currently cannot respond to telephone or email inquiries except for requests related to this stage of the application process.
TransLash Media, Inc. is proud to be an affirmative action employer. Black people, people of color, women, people with disabilities, and people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender nonconforming, or intersex are particularly urged to apply.
About TransLash Media
TransLash tells trans stories to save trans lives. Beginning in 2018 as a three-part, award-nominated docuseries that focuses on what it’s like to be trans and gender non-conforming (TGNC) during Trump-era, anti-transgender backlash in the United States, we have evolved into TransLash Media: a cross-platform media nonprofit & digital community led by founder and creator Imara Jones.
Using the power of journalism and personal narrative, Team TransLash creates, curates, and presents trans-affirming content, resources, and events in collaboration with our partners, as well as with trans individuals and allies. Our work centers the humanity of the most marginalized of the marginalized. TransLash programming includes the WEBBY nominated TransLash Podcast, a live virtual event series, weekly community TalkBack episodes & a companion newsletter, resource guides, the TransLash Zine series in collaboration with POC Zine Project, and other exciting initiatives in development. Learn more here.
About TransLash Podcast with Imara Jones: With anti-trans violence and political backlash at all-time highs, award-winning journalist Imara Jones hosts this podcast where trans people and allies talk back about what matters most, and discuss how to create a fairer world for all. TransLash Podcast with Imara Jones is a Spotify #2020Wrapped Honoree and a 2021 WEBBY Awards nominee. Learn more here.
About The Anti-Trans Hate Machine: A Plot Against Equality: Amid a record-setting year of anti-transgender legislation, TransLash Media presents our new limited-series podcast, The Anti-Trans Hate Machine. This four-part program takes us behind the curtain of the dark money, right wing organizations, radical figures and extreme ideology driving the anti-trans backlash across the country. Learn more here.
About TransLash Zine: TransLash Zine is an independent publication by TransLash Media that supports our mission of telling trans stories to save trans lives. We feature uncensored art, writing, and photography by trans/non-binary/intersex/two-spirit/gender non-conforming people, and we pay contributors. Our first two issues were developed and produced by POC Zine Project, and POC Zine Project continues to support our content and partnerships strategy. Our third issue, a Pride Month Edition partnership with Transgender Law Center, dropped June 6, 2021. Print editions of 1-3 coming soon. Learn more here.