Happy Father’s Day to everyone who celebrates it! Below you’ll find five trans & trans-masculine dads to follow, as well as some of their personal essays, studies, and resources. #HappyFathersDay!
Andrew Rich is a full-spectrum doula, healthcare and lactation professional, and also the co-founder (along with their partner, Astrid Marigold) of Awkward Birth Co. based in Kentucky, which provides pregnancy, birth, infant sleep, and physical movement support to anyone undergoing the child birth process. Follow them on Instagram to keep up with their writing, life, and family.
Aydian gets around to doing quite a lot with his time: he’s the Founder and President of Point of Pride, an organization meant to help trans people live more authentically (learn about their binder exchange program in our TransLash Podcast episode The First Debate and Star Trek, where we hear from Tyler Rodriguez, the Donation Program Director), he’s also an activist and a Life & Fitness Coach – not to mention being the First trans male on the cover of Men’s Health Magazine. He posts relatable memes, as well as educational, inspirational, and personal/family content on his Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok accounts; be sure to follow!
Freddy is a writer and journalist, who decided after being told that transitioning meant no chance of family, to become a parent and endure the journey alone. The process was documented over the course of three years, and is now a full-length film by Jeanie Finlay called Seahorse. The film followed Freddy from preparing for conception all the way to birth, and he now continues to tell us his story through his social media, his writing, and his activism. Follow Freddy on Instagram and Twitter.
Kayden is a Black trans advocate and educator, known for making headlines for giving birth to both of his children, seven years apart. He offers group workshops on Black TransMasculine Fertility & Birth and recently talked about his experience with the birth process on the Today Show in an effort to spread awareness. ICYMI: check out the replay of our IG Live with Kayden: Having a Baby. Be sure to follow him for learning opportunities, and cute baby pictures on Instagram!
Myles is the Director of Communications and Press Secretary at Equality Illinois, the state’s largest LGBTQIA civil rights advocacy organization. Through their work alone, Myles is changing the world for the better, and their personal life brings the same: Myles recently gave birth to Zayn, the first child of their family with activist and author Precious Brady-Davis, who was featured on TransLash Podcast with Imara Jones to celebrate Valentine’s Day and to discuss trans parenting/family experiences. Zayn also made Myles the first transgender male giving birth to be listed as the father on the birth certificate in the state of Illinois, according to the Chicago Tribune. Be sure to follow Myles on Instagram and Twitter. Congrats for making history and building a happy family!
TGNC Parenting Resources
- Am I a Dad Yet? Do I Even Want To Be? by Andrew Rich
- I’m a non-binary parent. There still isn’t space for me. by Andrea Bennett
- Lambda Legal’s Resources for Transgender Parents page has a list of organizations that aid transgender and gender nonconforming people, as well as the numbers to their over-the-phone services.
- They also have a Transgender Rights Toolkit: A Legal Guide for Trans People and Their Advocates, which answers common questions about transgender parenting, provides tips on how to protect parent-child relationships, and a story from a trans parent.
- Resources for Non-binary and Trans People and Their Health Care Providers, Particularly Around Pregnancy, by Serious Play Films
- The Trans Fertility Resource Library has an extensive bank of articles you can filter through by topic to help you through a vast majority of things, some of the topics to search from include: inducing lactation, doulas, fertility preservation, etc
- Trans Men Giving Birth and Reflections on Fatherhood: What to Expect?, International Journal of Law, Policy, and Family
- Trans Pregnancy in the Time of COVID by Freddy McConnell
- ICYMI: ACLU’s Chase Strangio is a great parent to follow to stay informed on the status of over 100+ anti-trans bills across the country. Follow Chase on Instagram!
Submit any useful trans/non-binary/intersex/two-spirit Agender Pride resource links that we may have missed here.
[Image Description: A dark green background holds a graphic of a parent dancing with their child, with the text ‘Happy Father’s Day!’ in bright yellow, to the left of them. There is a corgi below the text, staring towards the family to its right.]
Did you find this resource helpful? Consider supporting our work today with a tax-deductible donation.